Sunday, March 22, 2009

Bitten by the Rugby Bug

Matt & I have been spectators of rugby for a while now.  Luke & John play on the Point Loma club team and we watch their games whenever we can.  Matt's had an itch to play the game himself for some time now, and he finally did something about it.  He located an Orange County team online and sent an email to one of the captains on Thursday morning.  It went a little something like this:

Matt:
"Hello.  I want to play rugby.  Can I?"
Response (from Ian):
"Duh.  We practice tonight at 7 pm.  See you there!"

And thus, a rugby player is born!  Matt practiced with the team on Thursday night for two hours, we went to Glendale for a game on Saturday evening (expecting him to be a sideline guy), and he played!!  The last five minutes, but still.  He knocked a guy flat on his back within 30 seconds of being in, and I felt my heart swell with this odd sort of pride.  The kind of pride you get in knowing that your hubby, all 170 pounds of him, can knock a guy twice his size flat on his ass.  :)

Four more games til the end of the season, and something tells me he'll (we'll) have more good stories to tell.  Here's to the newest member of the OC Bucks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I sure hope you have at least one son eventually!!