Sunday, December 13, 2009

Megan's 5k

Today, Megan ran her first 5k (of many to come)! She trained hard for three weeks - running almost everyday. Her goal was to run the full 3.1 miles without walking.

This morning we woke up at 6am and drove down to Irvine for the 8am start time. After a brief stretch and a lot of encouragement from cousin Erin, we began the race. As we approached the mile one marker, Megan turned to me and exclaimed in exasperation, "Oh my gosh! That was ONLY one mile!?!?!?!?!" At this point I though we would be walking back to the start line (or I would be going to get the car to pick her up). But, true to form, she pushed through adversity and kept running. Mile two and three came much faster and easier. Then, with 1/10 of a mile left, Megan turned to me and shouted, "Lets pick it up!" The next thing I know I am 20 feet behind a sprinting maniac who was bound and determined to cross the finish line faster than the person in front of us. Not to be outdone, Megan passed three people at the last second and finished the race in 35 minutes with NO WALKING.

I am so proud of her for setting and accomplishing her goal. Now, the next goal has been set. She is aiming for another 5k in Huntington Beach in February. This time with the hopes of running it in less than 30 minutes!

Pre-race smiles

Megan just starting her sprint to the finish

She is sprinting so fast I am surprised this picture turned out. I was fully expecting a blur.

The BJ's crew.


1 comment:

Dani said...

Yay! Good job Megan! Wish we were celebrating with you tonight! :)