Friday, January 8, 2010

Internship Interviews Trip - Part One

Well, we made it to Denver on Wednesday night with no difficulties!  One thing became apparent the second we landed: people in Denver aren't in nearly as much of a rush as people in LA. :)  I found myself practically running people over when walking what I consider to be my normal pace, walking out of the ladies room, approaching the baggage claim, etc.  So one of the first orders of business became to slooooow down.  So far, so good!

We grabbed our checked bag and booked it to the Hertz rental bus to get to the off-site rental center.  It had been snowing earlier in the day, but had finished by the time we arrived.  Still, there was a layer of snow on the ground and covering everything else.  And of course, the bus pick-up station was outside of the terminal.  This was my first reaction to the 4 degree temperature, shock and awe:


You'll note that I'm bundled and Matt is in simply a long-sleeved shirt.  He's crazy.  It was freezing!  Literally!

We got to the rental location to discover that we were being given a Kia something or other.  Awesome. Luckily, Matt has experience driving in the snow (albeit usually in a 4WD SUV) so I felt pretty confident that we'd arrive in one piece.  The roads / freeways were being cleared and weren't too bad.  Still, if not for our new GPS (thanks, Ma & Pa L!), we would have surely been lost.


My crazy hubby and our itty bitty rental.


My new less high-heeled and more snow-appropriate boots didn't arrive from Zappos in time for our trip, so I braved the snow in an older, more precarious 4-inch heeled pair, further cementing my belief that anything someone can do in flats, I can do just as well and quite more fashionably in heels. :)



We made it to our hotel, the Hyatt, which is right smack dab in the middle of downtown!  That church makes me want to go to Mass, and I'm not Catholic. :)


Thursday morning Matt was off to his first interview, looking oh-so-dashing in his gray suit and new coat (Thanks Ma & Pa T!).  If they aren't wow'd by him in that getup and with such a shining personality and intellect, God help them. :)  He had interviews yesterday and today, and feels that both went well, so cross your fingers!

I envisioned myself exploring downtown while hubby was gone during the day (the 16th Street Mall and the Denver Art Museum are merely blocks away)... that was before I realized how cold it is here, even when the sun is shining beautifully!  In Denver's defense, all the locals say that this weather is not the norm, and the weather people say it will be up in the 50's by Saturday.  So, you know, balmy.  Anyway, the cold weather has left me staying in the comfort of my hotel room, venturing across the street only for a quick trip to Starbucks for a latte & scone.  I've been wonderfully happy to stay warm in here during the day, catching up on my favorite blogs (A Cup of Jo and Brazen Careerist), watching the Today Show (Love it & never get to see it!), finally cracking open Their Eyes Were Watching God, and listening to Ray LaMontagne on repeat.  Hubby and I venture out for dinner and as much strolling as we can take until our ears and noses freeze and turn red. :)

It's been a fun trip!  Stay tuned for more to come from our next stop, Philly (don't worry, we packed bullet proof vests... I kid, I kid...)!

1 comment:

Dianna said...

high heeled boots in the snow, love it! sounds like it is going well so far :-)